Monday, February 14, 2005

XXXOOXXOO

It’s Valentine’s Day… flowers, hearts with arrows and candy (lots of candy.)Motivated by the media hype I looked into Valentines. According to historychannel.com legend has it that Valentine was a priest who served in the third century in Rome during the reign of Emperor Claudius II. Claudius decided that wives and families adversely affected his soldiers. In response he outlawed marriage for young men and stocked his army with singles. Valentine, defied Claudius and continued to secretly marry young lovers. It wasn’t long before Claudius found out about the disobedient acts and, you guessed it, had Valentine put to death sounds like lore to me…but, let me continue. In 1835, Pope Gregory gave the remains (or what are believed to be the remains) of St Valentine to an Irish Priest during a visit to Rome. The remains are in a black and gold casket and still can be viewed every Valentine’s Day at the Whitefriar Street Church in Dublin Ireland (I think I’ll pass).
On a more scientific note…reserachers are saying that love really can break you heart. According to a study published in the Feb 10 edition of the New England Journal of Medicine ”Sudden, stressful events can cause some people’s tickers to give out in ways that mimic a heart attack". It’s called “broken heart syndrome.
For Valentine’s Day I am bringing my wife home a “complete” CD set of our Grantor indexes. Yup, from 1950-1976…Well, on second thought maybe I should stop at the florist.

No comments: